Monday, July 27, 2009

A day in the life

I read this fabulous article today, put together by numerous actors-about what it is that they do daily to keep their craft alive and thriving.  Being an actor is so interesting and exciting.  It made me think about what I do everyday to keep myself alive and I thought that sharing would be fun.

One of my favorite things to do is watch people. I always try to study people: What about a person makes me see the person is sad? What is the relationship between the couple in a restaurant? Are they married? Have they been together for a long time? Is the guy in love with the girl? Is the girl in love with the guy? Seeing things for what they are is crucial to an actor. It helps you create a truthful scene and/or character. I usually spend countless hours a week studying people and their relationships, their reactions...what their body is doing when you ask them a certain question. Studying people, it is one of the things that we do best.

Besides all the exercises of studying others, you can also examine yourself. The good old mirror helps. Create a character and talk to the mirror, studying your face. How does it change when you become a killer? A teacher? A little girl? A cop?Take yourself on a journey in the safest environment of all, your own home! It will teach you and give you confidence. You see yourself in the mirror several times a day; so why not, brush your teeth as the character you imagined yourself playing! 

Another thing that I often do, as working my voice is a challenge that I am trying to overcome,I work my vocal exercises in the car...  Or when no-one is home. I always start warm-up with lip trills, then humming, humming-chewing exercises...etc.  Vocal warm-ups of the tongue-twister variety after are always fun just to get everything warmed up....try these "What a to-do to die today..." or this favorite of mine: "A box of biscuits, a box of mixed biscuits, and a biscuit mixer."

I also read the trades everyday.  Even if it is just the Variety headlines, just to keep up to date with ratings and what is new and fresh.  I always check Imdb--who is the #1 Star on the star meter this week?  I also, about once a week, check the ubcp film production list site http://www.ubcp.com/index.asp?navid=29 just so that I can keep myself up to date on what is going on here in BC.

There is a lot more we can do with our day, always, and impossible is nothing! Good luck on this most interesting journey!

SO I leave you with this incorporeal noun for the day: Perseverance. What does it mean to you? Think about it for a while. Reflect on it. Enjoy it.

Peace,
J


No comments:

Post a Comment