Monday, July 13, 2009

No wonder some people say we're crazy.

I am working on a scene for my class right now, from the "The Owl and the Pussycat" and I have been trying really hard to access a source of "bat out of hell" anger...  Well, to be honest, I come from a pretty happy household.  There are not a lot of things that really piss me off...and if they do, I generally deal with them then and there.  So needless to say, I felt as though I had hit a bump in the road...when all of a sudden I found this story that fueled me with this immense anger, and the little voice inside me kept saying "YES!! Finally!!". Weird... that I would be so excited about feeling so angry, but I guess that is why I am an actor right?  

Funny people, actors.  We have to be vulnerable all the time, so that we can freely access all of our stories and emotions, yet we still have to be hard-shelled enough to deal with rejection, criticism and sheer exhaustion of pursuing this career.

I had a couple of friends over the other night, and I was trying to explain the specific hats we wear as actors. I wanted to explain how important it is to separate the different aspects of your acting career.  This little method of thought, has recently helped me organize my own ideas, and I thought it would be important to share with those who like me, want to excel at this career.  

So basically we as actors have to think of ourselves as our own business. We are essentially the CEO's of our own personal company, and we wear 3 hats, or we are the 3 Vice-President's of our company (as my acting coach and mentor Matthew Harrison would say).

Introducing the Vice Presidents of the Company:

1: Personal VP : This is the personal stuff.  The vulnerable actor.  The one who knows oneself so well, that they can access any emotional state, at anytime.  The one who works constantly at knowing themselves.

2: Actor VP: The craftsman.  This is the one who knows the process. The one who breaks down the script. The one who tells the stories. The one who channels all the personal stuff, and becomes an instrument for the writer. 

3: Business VP: The liason with the agent. The one who builds the networks. The one who does the marketing. The one who builds the fan-base. The one who builds the "Brand".

So to those actors out there who feel like they might be kinda crazy, well perhaps this little idea, will help you sort things out.  Make sure that you know which VP is representing you at all times. Make sure that the Business VP isn't in the audition room with you, and make sure that the Personal VP isn't out there negotiating contracts.

So I leave you with this one word to reflect on, embrace it, and really think about what it means to you today: Dedication.

Peace,

J





No comments:

Post a Comment